Cross-posted from http://facingteargas.org/stop-urban-shield-oakland
The 9th annual Urban Shield – the SWAT team training and weapons expo that brings together local, regional and global police-military units – will be held in Oakland this coming September 4-8. Oakland is gearing up to stop it! Building on growing resistance to police militarization in the US, Bay Area community organizations and War Resisters League have come together to call for Oakland’s non-participation in Urban Shield, community self-determination, and solidarity with global movements. Urban Shield is connected to national police militarization programs such as 1033, 1122, Urban Areas Security Initiative (UASI) and DHS Fusion Centers. Stopping Urban Shield is one step to roll back police militarization. Stay tuned for ways to get involved!
Sign on to the demands: http://bit.ly/susoakland
- We demand the City of Oakland defund all activities related to Urban Shield.
- We demand that all city agencies withdraw their participation in Urban Shield.
- We demand an end to all City collaborations with the Apartheid State of Israel.
- We call on the City of Oakland to issue a report on all collaborations between the Oakland Police Department and international law enforcement agencies.
- We call on the City of Oakland to reject all US wars and occupations here or abroad.
- We demand that Bay Area residents have decision-making power in the process to determine priorities for public safety and emergency preparedness.
- We demand that the City of Oakland invest in community-based programs proven to decrease violence and harm instead of in the increased militarization of its police force and emergency services.
- We ask our allies and partners to adopt these principles and take a stand against the policing and repression of our communities.
Sign on to our demands here.
Arab Resource & Organizing Center (AROC), Critical Resistance, International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network (IJAN), Alliance of South Asians Taking Action (ASATA), War Resisters League, Xicana Moratorium Coalition, Bay Area Childcare Collective, Iraq Veterans Against the War – San Fransisco, Civilian Solidier Alliance – San Fransisco, Catalyst Project, United Roots, SF 99% Civil Liberties Coalition, Code Pink, Oakland Privacy Working Group